The Blue Mountain Vista Observatory is a private facility owned and operated by Frank Colosimo that is generally open to DVAA members (see the BVMO website for more info.) If going out to BVMO please email Frank beforehand (at email@example.com) to tell him you're coming.
Directions to Blue Mountain Vista Observatory include:
Via 476 N:
- From 476 N, merge onto 22 W towards Harrisburgh
- From 22 W, take exit 49 B to Rt 100 N towards Fogelsville
- After about 10 miles, turn left onto Rt. 309 N
- After about 4 miles, turn left onto Rt. 895 W
- After about 2 miles, turn left Onto Archery Club Rd
- Turn left onto Hecla Rd, then left onto Beech Hollow Rd
- The site will be up a driveway about 0.2 miles down Beech Hollow Rd. A sign for the observatory will be visible at the beginning of the driveway.
Via 422 W:
- Merge onto US 222 N
- Take Rt 61 N towards Pottsville
- Turn right onto Rt 895 E after about 16 miles
- Continue on Rt 895 E until you reach Archery Club Rd. It is recommend to take Archery Club Rd rather than the preferred route on your GPS due to road conditions
Turn left onto Hecla Rd, then left onto Beech Hollow Rd
The site will be up a driveway about 0.2 miles down Beech Hollow Rd. A sign for the observatory will be visible at the beginning of the driveway,
Before you head out be sure to check out Frank's "Field Usage Guidelines" page, which has all sorts of useful info about the site including the phone numbers and addresses of local ambulances and hospitals. The most important paragraph, however, is at the top of the page:
Be aware that you are using the observing field at your own risk, and that you understand it is unimproved uneven ground with no lighting. If you come onto my property, you agree to take full responsibility for any problems that you encounter, including but not limited to accidents involving automobile use, insect, animal, and plant problems, falls, weather-related problems, and injury due to use of electricity.
NOTE: Frank does the club a great service in letting us use his observing field so it has been common practice to give a small donation ($5.00) or more to BVMO each and every time you use the facility; either in-person or via the super-easy PayPal "Donate" button on his "Field Usage Guidelines" page. You money helps to keep the grounds in great shape, mow the field, service the Porta Potty, etc.