Benefits of Membership
The DVAA is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization that has a long and storied history of service to both its members and the public at large. Our mission, as set out in the first article of our bylaws, is (a) to aid and encourage amateur astronomers in observation and scientific research projects, (b) to encourage cooperation and the exchange of ideas among amateur astronomers and (c) to interest and educate the general public in the science of astronomy. To serve those ends club membership confers a number of unique benefits:
- Monthly subscription to our award-winning newsletter, the Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomer.
- Access to private dark-sky events plus a regular cadence of local observing.
- Access to Colonial Observatory (in Plymouth Meeting).
- Ability to attend special member-only trips, like our recent trip to Sproul Observatory.
- Reciprocal membership in the Astronomical League, including a quarterly subscription to The Reflector.
- Discounted rentals on club equipment.
- Access to a number of advanced features on our great and evolving member-focused website.
- Voting privileges in our annual DVAA elections.
- Ability to attend numerous member-only events (i.e. Messier Meetings, Solar Saturdays, etc.)
- Membership in a well-trafficked DVAA-oriented listserv (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Special discounted rates on subscriptions to Astronomy and Sky & Telescope magazines.
The most important benefit we offer is nothing more than the chance to regularly interact with a great group of astronomically minded enthusiasts, whether at large-scale events like our star parties and monthly meetings or in more intimate settings like our member’s homes or even Gullifty’s; a favorite after-meeting hangout. Our people love astronomy and it shows!
Regular - $40/year - Permitted to vote and eligible to hold office
Family - $60/year - Two or more members in the same household, bundled up to 9 members. Each adult member permitted to vote and eligible to hold office.
Junior - $40/year Ages 12-17.; permitted to vote but not to hold office.
Contributing - $55/year - Regular members wishing to make a voluntary donation of $15 in addition to the $40 dues. Permitted to vote and eligible to hold office.
How to Join or Renew
The fastest / easiest way to become a member is to click Join DVAA
then follow a few simple instructions. You'll be given an opportunity to pay for your membership with either a credit-card or check. Alternately, you can pay our treasurer at one of our monthly General Meetings (see the Events
calendar for meeting location and other details).
If you are an existing member who would like to renew, log into the site (if you haven't already done so) then click the red $
next to your name in the upper right-hand corner of the web-page and follow the few simple instructions. If you've forgotten your password please email email@example.com
to request a password reset.
If you prefer to go the manual route, you can email your dues to our Treasurer, Harold Goldner
at 5 Valley Square, Blue Bell, PA 19422
. Be sure to make out the check to the "DVAA" and include your full contact details (including phone and email) and note your desired membership level (see above).
Whatever the case, please consider making a tax-deducible donation to the DVAA, too. The DVAA is a non-profit service organization and your dollars help us deliver more and better programs to both our members and the public at large.